Thursday, November 17, 2011

Just a Little Truth

Do you find yourself thinking in absolutes?  I tend to think in absolutes.  Hot is hot and cold is cold (truthfully it is the absence of hot).  My truck is silver…I wish it was blue but it is silver.  I either like food or I don’t, I do a good job or a bad job, I win or I loose.  I think this is a perfectly natural reaction to the world around us but we need to have more discernment when dealing with others.
In 1 John 2 we are warned about watching out for the antichrist.  The Scripture says,
“18Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us…. 22Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.”
In my absolute mind I think if God as all good and no evil then Satan as all evil and not good…Not true.  Satan is so smart and so good at his work, he can take a big fat lie and sprinkle it with truth to make it go down easier.  It’s like buying oatmeal cookies over chocolate chip.  We think the healthiness of the oats will somehow over compensate for the sugar, fat, and the fact that I ate the whole bag.  Another way of looking at it is, sea water is water but I cannot drink it and hope to live long.  There is some truth to this statement therefore; the statement must be true, is false.
We as the followers of Christ need to be careful and discern what others are saying about Christ.  We need to be mindful about what is good and what is  not good.  If something is all good then it is of God but what is partially good may be from Satan.  The best test we have is to look at the nature of God.  We need to ask ourselves, does what or who we are dealing with follow the nature of God.  If it does not at some point you may want to be weary and ask more questions.  Always praying that God will lead you and his ways be yours, not yours be his.

No comments:

Post a Comment